[pure-silver] Re: archival wash in cold water?

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:24:02 -0400

DEAR RICHARD,
        Somewhere buried in my notes from either T. H. James' graduate class
(Theory of Photo Process...same as his book) or Ron Francis' graduate Photo
Chem class I recall that one of them cited research that indicated that
washing fixed silver gelatin prints in water that was too cold (I think
below 50 or 55 F) made the silver-thiosulfate complexes insoluble and was
very bad for longevity.  I don't recall if it was due to permanently binding
to the gelatin, paper, or baryta or that the complexes agglomerated and
became impermeable to washing aids to wash out but a cold water wash was
cited as a no-no.
        Wish I could find the info!
                CHEERS!
                        BOB