[pure-silver] Re: Zion/Bryce; places to go

  • From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 06:33:54 -0700

The trip through Bryce is basically a road skirting the top of a valley.
There are a lot of trails leading down to the bottom, but be prepared to
walk a distance.  It is certainly a early AM or late afternoon place.  Stay
at Ruby's motel... ( they also have a campground).  Little to no vegetation,
red rock hues.  I prefer this park in B+W.

Zion can be very intimate, close to the road.  It is a significantly smaller
locale.  Very nice in color if you go quickly when the leaves change
colors...or in winter when you will freeze your bippy off in the cold, but
maybe get lucky enough to find a snowfall.  Stay at the Lodge if possible,
is not expensive and is quite a trip back in time.  Springdale offers a lot
of accommodations, especially choice for food.

I do suggest the Photograph America newsletter on these parks. it will
motivate you and give you much local info..

http://photographamerica.com/

Frank Filippone

Red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does anyone have any special places in Zion or Bryce? Keeping in mind that
I'm pack'n an 8x10, so long hikes are problematic. This will be my first
trip to these parks. I've read a couple of guidebooks and have some good
maps, but they of course point out the obvious, pre-planned tourist
lookouts, etc; and at the right time of the right day these CAN be beautiful
and personal. I'm looking for more of the small, intimate places; and maybe
a clue as to the best time of day to be there. I know this is a tough
question; I'd be hard pressed to answer it for places I frequent. One
person's special place may be completely invisible to another; it takes more
than the visual to make a place special and to make something worth
photographing. Whereas a place or object may have something unique and
personal to say to one photographer, it may have nothing to say to another.
So, with all of those caveats, I'll let my original question stand, and add
my thanks for any inputs.

Bob Younger