[pure-silver] Re: Zion/Bryce; places to go

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:03:23 -0400

Bob,

At Bryce there are several overlooks to the large formations that are at the beginning of the park. They are the best ones. The ride down through the park beyond that is unnecessary. I did it. Waste of effort. With large cameras, I never went further than the overlooks. You will want long lenses there.

Zion is a hiker's park. With large camera all you can do is work in the valley (or along the road on the East side of the park). from the valley. What to see: a meadow, trees, a river.

There is a great dirt road that begins on Route 14 between Cedar City and Cedar Breaks and goes to the north end of Zion. It goes through very old (and very large) Aspen trees. Highly recommended. And I recommend Cedar Breaks as well.

I haven't been on that dirt road in 35 years or in that area in general since 1993, but there are other places you might consider going that are nearby.

First on the list is Canyon de Chelly. If you have not been there, by all means go. If I only had one place to photograph in this life, Canyon de Cheely would be it. Stay at the Thunderbird Lodge or free camping in the campground next to it. Photograph from all of the overlooks on the south side of the park. I like Spider Rock overlook in the morning and White House overlook at sunset, but any overlook at any time of day is wonderful. Do not go to the overlooks on the north side unless there is someone to stay with your car while you are photographing. The broken glass in the parking areas will tell you why. if you have your own 4WD, hire a guide at the visitor's center and go in. You drive; they guide. Best is the Canyon del Muerto side, not the Canyon de Chelly side, although there are good things there, too.

And if you haven't been there, go to Toroweap Overlook at the Grand Canyon. Ordinary cars can make it. it is the only place at the Grand Canyon where you can drive to the rim where it is directly above the river. No hiking required. if you go there, walk a hundred yards or so to the west and sit on a rock to watch the sunset. Spectacular.

There are more places in that area, too, but these will get you started.

Have a great trip,

Michael A. Smith

On 10/31/10 9:33 AM, Frank Filippone wrote:

The trip through Bryce is basically a road skirting the top of a valley. There are a lot of trails leading down to the bottom, but be prepared to walk a distance. It is certainly a early AM or late afternoon place. Stay at Ruby's motel..... ( they also have a campground). Little to no vegetation, red rock hues. I prefer this park in B+W.

Zion can be very intimate, close to the road. It is a significantly smaller locale. Very nice in color if you go quickly when the leaves change colors.....or in winter when you will freeze your bippy off in the cold, but maybe get lucky enough to find a snowfall. Stay at the Lodge if possible, is not expensive and is quite a trip back in time. Springdale offers a lot of accommodations, especially choice for food.

I do suggest the Photograph America newsletter on these parks... it will motivate you and give you much local info....

http://photographamerica.com/

Frank Filippone

Red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Does anyone have any special places in Zion or Bryce? Keeping in mind that I'm pack'n an 8x10, so long hikes are problematic. This will be my first trip to these parks. I've read a couple of guidebooks and have some good maps, but they of course point out the obvious, pre-planned tourist lookouts, etc; and at the right time of the right day these CAN be beautiful and personal. I'm looking for more of the small, intimate places; and maybe a clue as to the best time of day to be there. I know this is a tough question; I'd be hard pressed to answer it for places I frequent. One person's special place may be completely invisible to another; it takes more than the visual to make a place special and to make something worth photographing. Whereas a place or object may have something unique and personal to say to one photographer, it may have nothing to say to another. So, with all of those caveats, I'll let my original question stand, and add my thanks for any inputs.

Bob Younger