[pure-silver] Re: What happens when XTOL dies

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:55:09 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 6:16 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: What happens when XTOL dies

titrisol wrote:
There is also Clayton F76+ tht is quite similar to DDX

Ok.. It appears DDX is hard to find in my city.. Henry's in Toronto
has it.. My favorite shop, Photoco, is going to see if they can order it.

-- Justin F. Knotzke jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx http://www.shampoo.ca

DDX is a liquid concentrate equivalent of Ilford Microphen. Kodak T-Max and T-Max RS are very similar to DDX.
All of these developers are similar to a Phenidone version of D-76. The Ilford published formula ID-68 is essentially the same as Microphen.

Ilford ID-68
Water (125F or 52C)                    750.0 ml
Sodium Sulfite, dessicated              85.0 grams
Hydroquinone                             5.0 grams
Borax, granulated                        7.0 grams
Boric Acid, crystaline                   2.0 grams
Potassium Bromide                        1.0 gram
Phenidone                                0.13 grams
Water to make                            1.0 liter

There is also a replenisher formula for those who use replenished systems.

I am not sure why Bromide is used as the anti-fog agent in this formula instead of Benzotriazole which is more common than Bromide in Phenidone developers.

This developer has properties which are essentially identical to those of the commercial product Ilford Microphen, i.e., slightly greater speed and slightly larger grain than D-76.

---