[pure-silver] Re: VC printing equipment Was: Replacement for Bromofort paper;

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:44:34 +0100

If I read between the lines correctly, you are somewhat hesitant to test. I
suggest to overcome this hesitation. It is my experience that these tests
take less time then people expect and contain the opportunity to learn and
turn trial-and-error into experience and knowledge. Nevertheless, here is my
opinion about some of your questions.

> 1. I use a Thomas Safelight now and with fixed grade papers I don't have to
> worry about fog... should I worry about VC papers under a Thomas?

The Thomas Safelight has adjustable baffles, changing the light output
dramatically. No safelight is really safe and all need to be tested. The
result of the test is not, if it is safe or not, it will give you a time for
which it is safe enough. Test! Would you like a copy of the test procedure?

> 2. I know I can test, but can anyone give me a hint on which filtration will
> best match what I have today in my cold lite lamp? Is that 0Y/0M?

No filtration will be close to a grade 2, but a test will reveal of paper
grades possible with this head. Many paper manufacturers give starting
points for their papers. If you don't want to test, start with 30Y/30M and
dial in more yellow to go softer and more magenta to go harder. The benefit
of the test is that you can maintain highlight consistency when changing
paper contrast. Would you like a copy of the test procedure?

> 3. Are VC papers as sensitive to different developers as fixed graded
> papers? I use Ansco 130 (softest), Ansco 120 (normal), and Beers for added
> hardness. Again, I know I can calibrate my new Dichro for each
> paper:developer combination, but should I expect to need to?

I don't know the answer to this, because I only use one paper developer
(Dektol). I am about to try Neutol soon, because Dektol is increasingly
difficult to get over here in Europe. Changing contrast with a color head is
easy enough. I see little need for multiple developers.

> 4. Can anyone recommend an especially long scale VC FB paper? I prefer
> neutral tone. I typically print to a scale close to 1.8-2.0 today.

Not sure what this means. Normal paper contrast is around 1.05. A grade 0 is
around 1.55!

Good luck with your color head. I think they are great for VC printing.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht