[pure-silver] Re: Paper Scale Was Re: VC printing equipment

  • From: "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:24:29 -0500

 4. Can anyone recommend an especially long scale VC FB paper? I prefer
>> neutral tone. I typically print to a scale close to 1.8-2.0 today.

Ralph replied:
> Not sure what this means. Normal paper contrast is around 1.05. A grade 0
> is
> around 1.55!

I assess the range as the number of steps from just above max black (I to
II) to just barely detectable difference from paper base ( VIII 2/3 to IX).
If I read correctly how others do it, they measure the scale between Zone II
1/2 - Z VIII reflectance. So my measured scale could be as much as .6
exposure units longer, I guess. I orginally did this because I didn't want
to settle on a shorter scale paper and wind up underdeveloping my negatives
to that short scale.. in other words I wanted to ensure I had a long scale
on the negative to capture as much detail as possible and still be able to
print them well.  I'm not sure a picture will tell you anything, but I've
posted an example at http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2984916 (no
manipulation except to bump up the contrast to match the original silver
print). I don't post many of my photos, and even this one has some scanning
defects, but this one shows the typical scale that I like. I'm trying for
good separation of the highlights, a lot of mid tones, and good separation
of the low values. I think if I compressed the scale any further, I would
begin losing one end or the other.

I'm wondering how much of this really matters, except for being able to
relate my results to the "standards." I develop my negative to avg grad of
.62, which gives me a longer scale, and I then need a long scale paper to
print them to.

Regards,
J.R. Stewart / Leesburg VA