[pure-silver] Re: VC printing equipment Was: Replacement for Bromofort paper;

There are a number of reasons besides what Ralph suggested.  Here are a few:
1. Manufacturers don't want to make graded papers any more.  They might make
some hold overs but I suspect they will be on the chopping block soon or
reduced down to the most popular grade.
2. Since VC papers are sold in large volumes, manufacturers will coat them
more frequently.  Thus they should be fresher than graded papers that are
coated say ...once a year.
3. Again since VC papers are sold in large volumes, manufacturers are
willing to invest in them and will put the latest technology systems in them
and update their characteristics or make improved versions from time to
time.
4. Unless you use all your graded papers a lot it is most likely your 2
grade papers will be used the most and the others will get old on the shelf.
5. VC papers will give almost any contrast you want.  You can get grades in
between the whole numbers with dichroic filters (or use the filters under
the lens in combinations).
6. Your ability to get the full range of contrasts the VC paper is capable
of providing depends on your filters and your enlarger.  For example, I have
a color head enlarger but maximum magenta or maximum yellow will not give me
the highest or lowest contrast.  So until I can find a better head I use
filters under the lens.  And it makes a difference what manufacturers
filters you use.  Testing your equipment as Ralph suggests is a must.

Dave