[pure-silver] Re: Use of Shutters in low light?

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 07:09:35 -0800

I won't disagree Richard,

But when I tried it, I realized immediately that you actually can take a
huge percentage of your landscapes and archy shots with no shutter at all.
At that point you can do large format for very very little money.  Some of
these copy lenses and such are really very good and can be had for almost
nothing.  This becomes more interesting for very large format work where the
glass in shutters gets very expensive.  I once went so far as to draw up a
shutter made from matboard.  It was to go on the front of the lens and would
basically consist of a card with a slit in it that I drop through a very
flat box attached to the front of the lens.  With a little math the speed of
the shutter could be pretty accurately calculated, and cards with different
sized slots would give different effective shutter times.  I bet that with a
full aperture slot, you could even rig a flash synch.But that's probably for
the "Mr. Wizard Large Format Camera Forum" :)