[pure-silver] Re: Use of Shutters in low light?

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:41:45 -0500

On Sunday 06 February 2005 07:58, J.R. Stewart wrote:
> I've been wondering about something lately.
>
> I've been concentrating on large format for only about a year or so (4x5).
> Mostly landscapes using ASA 64 and 200 film). The big difference I'm seeing
> is that LF/view cameras seem to require smaller lens aperatures (for depth
> of field) or slower shutter speeds. I don't know if there's a technical
> reason for this... it may just be my attitude after lugging my view camera
> to the chosen spot for the photograph and wanting to get a shot I'd have
> given up on with MF.... but nevertheless that's my situation.

        The longer focal lengths used in LF require smaller F/stops. If you
used the
same focal length on both MF and LF you'd need the same F/stop.

> I've taken a number of shots that reflect a compromise I made at the time I
> clicked the shutter at say f8 at 1/10th : poor depth of field.  I suspect
> focus would have been much better at f22 at 1/2 second or f45 at 2 sec(+).

   I don't know how many LF lenses are really designed to be used wide open.

> So I'll ask: how often do folks really need a shutter for shooting LF? Do
> you find yourselves using T or B in the field and longer exposures? Even
> indoors using available light must force some of you to consider this "low
> light" situation a challenge. How do you handle it? Do many of you have and
> use barrel lenses for field work?

        I think you'll find two groups. Those that use fast film. 400 speed
film is
going to need a shutter even when it's cloudy outdoors. But it's not too hard
with a slower film and a filter to end up around 1second or longer.

        Indoors you have a chance of using lights. Or flash.

        I've got an 8x10 coming. BTW anybody know how heavy a Cambo super 8x10
is
going to be? 1 tonne or  2?. With the 8x10 I think I'll stick to barrel
lenses. I don't see my self using it much.

Nick