[pure-silver] Re: Use of Shutters in low light?

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 06:24:38 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Feb 6, 2005 4:58 AM
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Use of Shutters in low light?

I've been wondering about something lately.

I've been concentrating on large format for only about a year or so (4x5).
Mostly landscapes using ASA 64 and 200 film). The big difference I'm seeing
is that LF/view cameras seem to require smaller lens aperatures (for depth
of field) or slower shutter speeds. I don't know if there's a technical
reason for this... it may just be my attitude after lugging my view camera
to the chosen spot for the photograph and wanting to get a shot I'd have
given up on with MF.... but nevertheless that's my situation.

I've taken a number of shots that reflect a compromise I made at the time I
clicked the shutter at say f8 at 1/10th : poor depth of field.  I suspect
focus would have been much better at f22 at 1/2 second or f45 at 2 sec(+).

So I'll ask: how often do folks really need a shutter for shooting LF? Do
you find yourselves using T or B in the field and longer exposures? Even
indoors using available light must force some of you to consider this "low
light" situation a challenge. How do you handle it? Do many of you have and
use barrel lenses for field work?

Thanks for the feedback.
J.R. Stewart
Leesburg, VA

   There are situations where just capping the lens is enough but for 4x5 a
shutter of some sort is IMHO a necessity. For 8x10 you have to stop down so
much for depth of field that a very simple shutter is enough. I have some
barrel lenses mounted on boards with Packard shutters. Packard shutters are
simple air-operated shutters that mount either behind the lens on on its front.
The have one speed and B or T, the time varies with the size of the shutter but
is around 1/30th for the smallest of them.  These used to be plentiful and
cheap used but the supply has dried up. They are still made, the design being
exactly the same  as it has for more than a century.
   I also use barrel lenses on a Speed Graphic using the focal plane shutter.
  For more about Packard shutters see: http://www.hubphoto.com   at the bottom
click on Packard Shutter Company.