[pure-silver] Tray development and fog

  • From: "Michael Healy" <emjayhealy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:24:31 -0700

The demise of Agfa got me off my behind to replace Rodinal. I'm testing FX2
right now,
on Ilford's D100, FP4, and HP5. My initial test shots were done in 4x5, so I
did them in
the tray. On my first sheets, I got substantial fog.

When I evaluated them, I decided that it wouldn't have been a bad idea to run
some EI
tests first. So I shot 120 rolls of my films, and processed each in a tank, and
- no fog at
all. Today I processed the second shot of each 4x5, this time in my Combi-plan
tank.
Again, no fog. In fact, results thus far look really promising.

Clearly, though, I am doing something wrong when tray processing. I've reviewed
other
negs I ran in trays (mostly 8x10's). Sometimes I've gotten a little bit of fog
on previous
images, mostly not. That's why I initially suspected the developer. Now,
though, I think
it's my technique.

On 8x10, I use 11x14 trays with at least a liter of developer (was Rodinal
1:50). On 4x5,
I've been using 8x10 trays, with 700-1000 ml's of developer. This time, I only
used 500
ml's, since I was doing a single sheet at a time. So it was shallow. As far as
agitation
goes, when doing a single sheet, I rock gently for 10 secs every minute.

Using the Combi-plan tank is a great solution for 4x5, but I've got to process
8x10 and
4x10 sheets. So there really isn't any avoiding the use of a tray.
Incidentally, I have used
tubes with continuous agitation, but I don't like doing that, and anyhow FX2
being a
compensating developer, it doesn't seem to make sense to agitate continuously.

So I keep getting stuck on my tray processing. What am I doing wrong in trays,
that I'm
getting such fog?

Mike