[pure-silver] Re: Stamp pad ink

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:30:22 -0400

At 06:12 PM 5/15/2007 , Richard wrote:

> [...]

May 18, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

In addition to the possibility of staining the image side of the print due
to ink migrating through the thickness of the paper over time, there is the
simple flipping of the paper so the face of the print is flat on the work
surface while the back-marking is done. This invites damage to a print
sooner or later. Also, anyone in the future who wants to read the markings
on the back of the print will be flipping it over. Far too much handling.
I'd say no markings should be made on the back, period.

Many people use pencil, of course. I like India ink (and yes, it does
terrify me every time I open that little bottle near one of my prints ... I
am the definition of smearer). But I like the look of the ink. I've tried
many types of India ink; my favourite is Winsor and Newton Black India,
number 951. It dries to a nice gloss, but not too glossy (goes well with my
preference in glossy paper surface; the level of gloss from air-dried FB is
beautiful). Henry Wilhelm specifies a couple of India inks by Koh-I-Noor,
but I found one of them had a short shelf life, and the other just did not
look as good dried as Winsor and Newton, at least to me.

I should point out that the way the ink goes onto the paper, and the look
of the dried ink, is intimately linked with the characteristics of the
paper. The same ink will look different on various papers, and you can even
feel a difference in the 'pull' or 'drag' of the pen as it is applied on
different papers. I mainly use Ilford Warmtone glossy paper (designated
MGW). Every change in technique requires experiment.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com