[pure-silver] Re: Skies

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:19:00 -0400

On 14/05/07, Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You can also do a similar technique with a double
exposure in camera, with a graded neutral density
filter, stacked with the colour filter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattgarner/498016050/

  It's all the rage now on Flickr and other sites.. Take multiple exposures
and blend 'em in Photoshop.

  I believe there's some sort of plugin that does it for you..

  When I first saw these images appear on the Web, my first instinct was
"damn, that's impressive" until I would flip through the rest of their
portfolio and realized that not all the images looked like that.. Then I did
some digging and realized it was a gimmick.

  Unless you are a photojournalist, or someone who prides in presenting
images that have not been modified in anyway, I think the rule of thumb is
to push it until the viewer knows something is fishy.

   I'm sure getting decent skies can be done through double exposures etc..
That's fine.

   http://www.picture-box.com/Resources/Barry-Thornton-1.jpg

   Is he using just a filter to hold in the sky and the ground ?

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.shampoo.ca