[pure-silver] Re: Spiratone 200 C Enlarging Meter Instructions

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:07:32 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Koch" <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:01 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Spiratone 200 C Enlarging Meter Instructions

The problem with enlarging meters of this type is that you must first calibrate them for each paper.. This requires making a good print for each paper you use.. Keep a record of the meter reading and paper type. Then for each new negative you need to meter an area of equal density to the calibration negative using your eye. Essentially you only eliminate the first test strip and get in the right ball park for exposure. Most people try this a few times and the meter gets put away in a dusty drawer never to be used again. This is why most ads say something to the effect "like new in original box."

Jerry

I agree, I think this is true of all enlarging meters, it certainly is of the Ilford meter I use. One must also calibrate one's eye to the shade of gray in the image that is measured. The meter does not tell you much of anything about the negative contrast either. Making really good B&W prints is not trivial.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL