[pure-silver] Re: Spiratone 200 C Enlarging Meter Instructions

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 09:59:17 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marvin" <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:22 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Spiratone 200 C Enlarging Meter Instructions

It's a matter of approach. I've been happy with the results I get using a Kodak Projection Print Scale, with some added mental interpolation. I'm sure that's far less precise than a tenth stop. I guess my prints COULD be technically better, but other photographers, as well as other other artists (in the groups to which I belong that have members who work in various media) think they're fine. No offense intended--I've seen your prints, when you've participated in the PSPE, and think they're wonderful, but you've also seen mine and, I hope, would agree that they achieve their intended purpose.

As to the Spiratone enlarging meter, I'm very much prepared to be disappointed. I've tried an enlarging attachment for my Sekonic incident light meter and an ancient (i.e. older than me) extinction type "Enlarg-O-Meter", found in an antique shop. Both work satisfactorily , but are considerably more trouble to use than my usual method.

Bob Marvin

I have the enlarging attachment for my Luna-Pro but its not sensitive enough to be practical. I use an Ilford meter with a lot of mental interpolation. It works pretty well. Nick Linden makes an enlarging timer of very good repute. I would hate to disagree with him about the tenth stop criteria but I would like to see that in practice. One problem with printing is that you must find out how much the print changes when dry and the effect of the light level where it is to be displayed. What looks right in the darkroom is often misleading.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL