[pure-silver] Re: Spiratone 200 C Enlarging Meter Instructions

  • From: <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:37:30 +0000

I have a comparable RH meter (the Zone Master, I believe, it's hibernating so
long now in my drawer I am not sure of his name anymore..). Although the meter
is not that hard to work with, the calibration is quite tedious, and obviously
has to be done on each different paper (and I used a lot different brands, less
so now, so perhaps I should re-evaluate). And it takes some experience to
evaluate the negative on the base board and judge were the place the sensor for
the important parts .

Plus in my set up (Condensor head with filter drawer above the negative) it
means constantly moving filters out and in. In the end it worked better for me
to have a good contact sheet and use test strips.

So if I have a exposed and contacted roll of 120 film I choose the interesting
ones, make a teststrip of the first (I usually know out of experience  at what
grade and roughly what time) I use a StopClock and a device to make a test
strip of the same area at ¼ stop intervals (described in Ralph Lambrecht his
book). If you choose the area carefully this strip can tells you if you are in
the ballpark  for the exposure time and contrast. If the first print comes out
right I use that one in combination with the contact sheet to print the other
images. I guess my "success rate" with this system is about 80-90%.

Mind you, these smallish (13*18 cm) RC test prints are not definitive prints,
but a pretty good start up to judge the content and further printing on larger
FB material.

Best,

Cor