[pure-silver] Re: SEEKING 70MM TANK FOR MY 70MM REEL

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 12:35:10 -0600

On 12/02/2014 11:00 AM, bobkiss @caribsurf.com wrote:
DEAR LIST,
      I have a very nice stainless 70mm reel which holds, I think, nearly 20
feet of 70mm film.  What I don't have is a stainless steel tank into which I can
fit it to process the film.  In my previous incarnation as an advertising and
fashion photog (1974-83) in Madhatter...oopsie...Manhattan, I had a 3 1/2 gallon
processing line set up so all I had to do was put the reel on a stainless
"stick" and dip and dunk in the tanks.  As we say in Barbados, "dem days done".
I could, of course, revive a few of the tanks and fill them just high enough to
cover the reel but I thought it might be nice to find a proper tank for this
reel.
***Lest you think that the reel is similar to a 120 reel, it is much bigger,
measuring 6 3/4 inches in diameter (twice a 120 reel diameter) and 3 inches high
(taller than a 120 reel).
      Sooooooooooooooooooo, by any chance does anyone know if a 70mm tank exists
and is for sale?
                       CHEERS!
                               BOB

I check eBay. No go. You might contact Pacific Camera to see if they happen to have one.

I open tank process everything and have for years.  I find this gives me far
better agitation consistency, especially with rapid oxidizing developers
like Pyro.  "Big tanks" can be had cheaply if you use Tupperware or similar
plastic tubs:

   http://www.tundraware.com/Photography/Darkroom/Darkroom-14.jpg

As an aside, where are you getting 70mm film and cartridges.  I'd
be persuaded to buy a 70mm Hassy back if there was sufficient supply
of these.