[pure-silver] Re: Request For Chemist: Bleach - Alcohol Interaction?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 13:39:46 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "titrisol" <titrisol@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:31 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Request For Chemist: Bleach - Alcohol Interaction?

Ammonia-Bleach is the creation of chloramine and or hydrazine which are toxic and explosive

Bleach-Acid releases the chlorine gas

Bleach-Alcohol could generate some chlorethane which is quite explosive...but I believe it should not be a problem in low concentrations.

I think all this stuff is so diluted that it would not cause any problems. Bleach destroys hypo so is good for removing crystallized hypo residue on equipment. However, usually a hot water wash will clean tanks and trays sufficiently. Its only when hypo is left in containers for very long periods of time that it can cause problems. At one time chlorine was the most common substance used to kill bacteria in water. These days chloramines seem to be more often used. I don't think either will affect photographic chemicals and chlorine is destroyed by hypo. However, if you boil water to purify it beware that boiling does not remove chloramines. An activated charcoal filter, like a Brita filter, will remove it. Boiling drives off dissolved gasses so it will generally remove plain chlorine and will drive off dissolved air. Probably the most hazardous chemicals most people encounter is the stuff under the kitchen sink.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL