[pure-silver] Request For Chemist: Bleach - Alcohol Interaction?

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 13:22:07 -0500

I've followed the thread about PhotoFlo with some interest
over the past several days.  Though I've never had any PF
residue, I realized I probably was not using enough of it and
have seen some water spotting now and again.  So.. I decided
to try it myself last night:

   2.5ml  Photo Flo 200
   1/2 oz Isopropyl Alcohol 91%
   500ml  Distilled water

And it worked fine.

But ... at the end of a darkroom session, I put a capful of
bleach in the film washer and then drain it so as to supress
mildew formation.  "A capful" is approximate here, and it likely
doesn't require anywhere near that.

So, the bleachy water is drained.  Now I dump the PF/Alcohol
mix down the drain as the final step of darkroom cleanup and
it occurs to me:  Is there any dangerous interaction between
alcohol and bleach  I should consider.

I am well aware of the horrors of mixing, say, ammonia and
bleach, but I've never heard of alcohol being a problem.

Since there are some wise chemists here, I thought I'd ask.