[pure-silver] Re: Photokina 2004

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:53:09 +0200

Quoting Gregory Blank <gregoryblank@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> God I just love the rumor mill, so typical.
>
> Are you sure about FORTE, word I have from Omega Satter

Forte is indeed insolvent. But they will restructure after they
divest themselves of large portions of their workforce and downsize
to a more appropriate scale..

> as of last week was their contact to the US has been ill
> but thats all. I just forwarded the message to Omega Satter,
> to my contact there. Omega sent two representatives to Hungry
> in conjunction with the show.
>
> I really hope your incorrect.
>
> On Oct 4, 2004, at 1:53 PM, DarkroomMagic wrote:
>
> > Just came back from Photokina, and I'll tell you, silver based
> > photography
> > is not dead.

It sure was at the Photo-China.
The slogan was "Hip kids don't use film"... or to paraphrase the Leica slogan
for the show "Kick me I'm a poor schlep that uses a film camera"
(well they used the phrase "Analog dinosaur")

> > Nikon introduced a new film-based camera the Nikon F6.
> > Forget Kodak, Ilford or Agfa for film and paper. They are just not
> > interested anymore. On the other hand, Kentmere, Foma, Bergger, Maco

Wrong. If Agfa has no interest then why Agfaphot?

> > and
> > Adox are getting stronger. Forte (Hungry) is gone, went bankrupt a few
> > weeks

Adox are NOT getting stronger. Adox is the tradename squated by FotoImpex.
Maco? Right... Wanna buy a bridge?  Bergger? Ha Ha..

Don't confuse these little dealers and branders with photochemical and
materials makers..
Or why not add Freestyle in Hollywood to you list of players?

> > ago. Remember not all of these manufacturers make their own products,
> > Kentmere, Foma and Adox do of which only the last two make film.

FotoImpex (Adox) do not make films.
Neither really do Maco..
Maco's big thing right now is importing Lucky film from China.. :-)

> > Amazing! Rollei sponsored Maco to make 120 roll film in response to
> > their

Rollei did not sponsor Maco to make films. The films are based upon
Maco's Cube 400c film which is really a "their" new traffic film.
I suspect he's sitting on a couple of pancakes looking for a home..

> > camera customer requests and fears. It sells in wooden boxes at 66
> > rolls per
> > box. 120 roll-film availability may become the first issue for
> > traditional
> > photographers. Apparently, there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers for the
> > paper
> > backing in the world.

Who told you that...

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
Office Leo (R&D):
   Leopoldstrasse 53-55, D-80802 Munich,
   Federal Republic of Germany