[pure-silver] Re: Photokina 2004

  • From: "Claudio Bonavolta" <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:17:35 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 7:53 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Photokina 2004

> Just came back from Photokina, and I'll tell you, silver based photography
> is not dead.
>
> Nikon introduced a new film-based camera the Nikon F6.

A pretty nice body, I think it fits very well in my hands :-))
And something pretty interesting that hadn't made a lot of noise: a new
anti-reflection coating called Nano-Crystal. Seen with an electronic
microscope, it looks like an aggragate of micro- (sorry, nano-) spheres.

> Forget Kodak, Ilford or Agfa for film and paper. They are just not
> interested anymore.

I've been surprised by the size of Kodak, Fuji and Agfa stands: enormous !
Much bigger than the major cameras manufacturers ...
Kodak and Fuji still had an analog part, of course, very small compared to
the rest of the stand, but still there.
Agfa had nothing analog (except perhaps hostesses ridiculously dressed).
There was a strange feeling on Ilford's stand, like being in hospital.
Nearly all stand was devoted to inkjet papers, and roughly a square meter
for silver-based material (and no Ilfochrome).

> On the other hand, Kentmere, Foma, Bergger, Maco and
> Adox are getting stronger.

Well, we're moving from a large scale to a cottage industry. I'm feeling
more and more part of a small tribe ...
I'm not sure whether these companies will be strong enough for serious R&D.
I've also seen only 3 stands that had traditional enlargers exposed (in
comparison, digital high-volume monsters were everywhere).
I haven't seen any US enlarger manufacturer either.

> Forte (Hungry) is gone, went bankrupt a few weeks
> ago. Remember not all of these manufacturers make their own products,
> Kentmere, Foma and Adox do of which only the last two make film.
>
> Amazing! Rollei sponsored Maco to make 120 roll film in response to their
> camera customer requests and fears. It sells in wooden boxes at 66 rolls
per
> box. 120 roll-film availability may become the first issue for traditional
> photographers. Apparently, there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers for the
paper
> backing in the world.

This may sound a good news but the wooden boxes remind me, in a completely
different domain - high-end audio -, when transistors started to replace
heavily tubes in the seventies and industries closed, there has been a
similar reaction with tubes sold in jewel cases at completely unrealistic
prices.

> Most exciting to me was the introduction of three brand new
> real-large-format lenses by Schneider for the 11x14 and 20x24!!! format.
> They told me, there is a market.

*Really* nice pieces of glass, impressive construction, gold finish, ...
If there is an interest I can scan the english leaflet and publish it on my
website.

Also LF but in another category, I've seen chinese wooden cameras on Seagull
stand made by Shenhao (http://www.shen-hao.com).
Believe me or not, but they seem to be very well made, finish was very nice
looking.

> Believe it or not, the Hasselblad rep (about 25 years of age), told me to
> sell my old! Hasselblad 501c equipment and by a 22M pixel H1D for $18,000.
> think not.

No comment, they need to survive too ...
Bronica, despite they were at the 'Kina, are closing.

> It was pretty much a digital show. Nevertheless, you were able to find
> everything needed for traditional photography at Photokina 2004.

Yes, you had to walk quite a lot but, finally, you were able to find ...

> Regards
>
> Ralph W. Lambrecht

I've also been impressed by the various galleries, specially the Visual
Gallery and the war photographies at the end.
These may be a good reason to visit the Photokina alone ...

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch