[pure-silver] Re: Photographing Hands

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:31:45 -0800

 Good models are tough.  Besides, in the winter, they're attracted to the
warmth.

Seriously though, we have now what are known as "on-off" switches which can
be used to turn these things off when we're not actually composing,
focusing, and shooting.  I stole the foot switch that we used for our
christmas lights, and I station it near the camera. My key light is an old
home movie light fixture with 4 100 watt Reveal bulbs in it. I have it set
up to go in a 48" umbrella, and I can get a comfortable f5.6 at 1/25 which
has worked fine for me and doesn't dehydrate the models overly rapidly.  I
have some real photofloods, which I don't use any more after the second one
blew up, showering the set with little bits of blue glass. I'm in the middle
of making a new fixture to use 8 bulbs in 2 switchable groups of 4, and
since summer is coming, I'm thinking about making a key light with
"daylight" flourescent bulbs.