[pure-silver] Re: Packard Shutters

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:05:58 -0400

DEAR RICH,

            I have a very old cherry wood Kodak 5X7 with a portrait lens in
a Packard shutter.  The lens is perfect for portraits in that it is very
sharp when closed up but nice and soft when opened up due to purposefully
uncorrected aberrations.

            The Packard shutter is great and, with some experience, can go
from (as Richard said) around 1/25 sec to as long as you like.  The trick is
how you use the bulb.  If you want short exposures you slowly, partially
squeeze the bulb without putting your thumb over the air hole.  When you
want to make the fast exposure, while keeping your thumb over the air hole,
quickly squeeze and release the bulb.  This causes the shutter to open
quickly and, because the bulb was partially compressed, it "sucks" the
shutter closed again as quickly as it can work.  For time exposures you do
not partially compress the bulb.just put your thumb over the air hole,
squeeze the bulb and hold it as long as you need the shutter open and
release bulb to close it.  For VERY long exposures, thumb over air hole,
squeeze the bulb, remove thumb from air hole and slowly allow bulb to
re-inflate.  When it is time to close the shutter, without your thumb over
the air hole, gently squeeze the bulb, then put your thumb over air hole and
allow the bulb to re-inflate, once again, sucking the shutter closed.

            This has worked for me for decades.  Enjoy the wonderful feeling
of the 19th century in your hands!

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB

  _____