[pure-silver] Re: Packard Shutters

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 01:48:45 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "richard lahrson" <gtripspud@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 12:15 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Packard Shutters

Hi!
I have a 14" f/9 Apo-Ronar barrel lens mounted on a 6" board for an 8x10 Kodak 2D. A test shot of some book titles on the shelf looks good and
the aim is to use this lens for portraits.
So after months of searching eBay for a Packard shutter, google search found www.packardshutter.com. I called them up, talked for 20 minutes to
the owner, Reno, who carefully explained what would fit.
    I'm getting one and can hardly wait to squeeze that
rubber bulb! These shutters were generally used before my time and would like to hear other's experiences with these classic shutter. Rich

I don't remember all the details of Packard shutter history but similar shutters date back to at least the 1870's. It is an entirely practical shutter for large lenses. The shutter speed is pretty much fixed at around 1/25th for medium sized shutters, perhaps a bit faster for smaller ones and a bit slower for very large ones. The speed is controlled by the pressure on the bulb and at one time a pressure regulator could be bought to fit into the air line between bulb and shutter to obtain slow speeds reliably. Some Packard shutters come with contacts for strobe synch. They can also be used for flashbulbs if the shutter is used in B where it stays open until sucked shut again. Packars shutters also work well for some old style wide angle lenses like the Zeiss Protar extra-wide angle lens, which have air spaces too narrow for between-the-lens shutters. They are also virtually silent which can be useful for portraiture and animal photography. Not much else to say. Its possible to mount a Packard shutter so that many lenses can be used on the same shutter. I have two mounted this way, one is on a large Agfa lensboard with a Speed Graphic 4x4 inch adaptor and the other has an iris diaphragm clamp on it. Packard shutters were plentiful and very cheap on the used market some years ago but have virtually dried up in the last couple of years but are still made new, as you have discovered. Tubing can be had at any automobile parts supply store but the bulbs are harder to find. Medical supply houses used to stock them for blood pressure measuring scales (I am not going to try spelling the right name for this thing) but most BP gauges now are electronic. Another advantage is that an air tube can be a lot longer than a wire release without problems with friction and kinking.
    Have fun with your old-fashioned toy.
The Apo-Ronar should be comparable to an Apochromatic Artar, an extremely sharp lens.