[pure-silver] Nostalgia For 5 Papers

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:51:54 -0600

My previous Agfa thread seems to have hit a nerve.  Let us further
depress each other and visit the question:

   If you could bring back 5 papers, what would they be and why?

Mine?

1) Agfa Brovira 111

   For that silver/black "look" that is just untouchable

2) Zone VI Brilliant Bromide Graded

   It had amazing blacks and a surface tooth I really loved

3) Polycontrast (Both F and G)

   One of the first really great VC papers.  It was forgiving and a
   great daily workhorse

4) Kodabromide F

   Amazing blue/blacks I've never been able to replicate on other
   papers

5) Velox

   The first paper I ever contact printed on.  It had that same
   blue/black look that I loved in Kodabromide

There are a lot of lovely newer papers and I print happily upon them -
Oriental, MGIV, Bergger, and Adox all leap to mind.  NONE of them
are as beautiful as I recall the 5 above to have been ... but that
could just be my nostalgia talking ... sob ...