[pure-silver] Re: Nostalgia For 5 Papers

  • From: "Mike Kirwan" <mkirwan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 07:37:38 -0800

In my library I have the Gevaert Manual of Photography  The book is not
dated, but my guess is around the late 1930's. Before they joined with Agfa
at least.

There is a section on Gevaert papers which include:

Ronix - Self toning Collodium contact paper
Blue STar (Relor) - POP - contact
Gevaert Matt - POP - contact
Ridax - Gaslight Chloride paper - contact
Artos - Chloro bromide - contact
Artona - Chloro bromide - contact
Vittex D-  Chloro Bromide - contact
Prestona - Chloro Bromide - enlarging
Vertona - Iodo Chloride - contact
Gevalux Velors - Silver bromide paper with velvet texture

and a whole slew more. There is a section on Gevaluxe Velors, described as
"carbon-black tone with a velvet like surfact  - the finest paper for
artistic enlargement" The recommended developer for this paper are G.251 for
contrasty prints, G.253 for soft prints; which suggests it only came in one
grade.

The end section of the book is a list of the Gevaert formula for print,
film, toners etc. let me know if you are interested and I can make them
available

By the way the film section is cool also, with names like Panchromosa
Special, Express Superchrom........

Mike

  _____