[pure-silver] Keeping your liquid chemicals fresher longer

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:26:09 +1000

OK, so while I'm relaxing with one leg on my dog and the other propping up
my laptop I thought I'd tell you all about my plans for keeping my
chemicals fresher for longer.

You all know about Tetenal's
protectan<http://www.tetenal.com/index_c.htm?AKT=01120010001000500055&L=UK>and
 Bloxygen
<http://www.bloxygen.com/>(argon) right ?   Both contain gases which
displace the oxygen to reduce the rate of oxidation.  They are both good
ideas if you can justify spending way too much for a bit of compressed gas.

So, my latest idea is to use a 1L disposable canister of Argon
(welding) gas<http://www.maxxiline.com/product/argongasbottle/argon.html>with
a regulator on top to deliver the inert gas into my partly filled
chemical bottles.  If I can get the flow rate under 5 L/min using the
adjustable regulator I should be right.  They contain (when released and
uncompressed) 110 Litres of gas as they are stored a volume of 1L at 110
bar of pressure.   the cylinder will probably leak after about 2-3 years
but for about US$15 it is only a tad more expensive than bloxygen but gives
over 10 times as much gas (I think - but the Bloxgen mfg's claim of 75L per
can don't add up)    Instead I calculated using  the ideal gas equation
(PV=nRT) that Bloxygen contains about 7-10 litres of compressed argon
(depending on the pressure in the can) yet it  retails for US$11.

Regards
Peter