[pure-silver] Inkjet (digital) papers coated on silver halide machines (was Re: Re: More Kodak Buildings Demolished)

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:21:29 -0700

Bob Rosen wrote:

In any case, many papers for digital printing come in about the same
types of stock that silver technology uses. And the quality papers aren't
cheap.

At the risk of straying into the Forbidden Zone, it's interesting you
mention digital printing, as in inkjet printing.  I capture on
film, scan at high res, and output using Epson UltraChrome K3 inks
in an Epson Stylus Photo R2400.

The last couple of weeks, I've been testing the latest, greatest
fiber-based glossy inkjet papers - these are all supposed to give
the look and feel of air-dried, glossy FB silver halide prints.

I've tested Crane Museo Silver Rag, Innova FibaPrint White Ultra-smooth
Gloss 285, and Harman Gloss FB Al.  They're not cheap, around $1.60 to
$1.80 per 8.5"x11" sheet.  Of the three, I'm most impressed by the
Harman paper - which, I believe, is being coated in the same factory
as the Ilford papers we've all loved for decades, and is contructed
much like a silver halide paper.

BTW, it's just like it used to be with silver halide papers; there
are quite a few choices now, with more variation among personal
preference than paper quality.

Cheers -
Dana