[pure-silver] Re: I say Ammonium you say Potassium

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:10:56 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:19 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: I say Ammonium you say Potassium

Thanks Richard!
Blumann's book here is circa 1937 and my edition of
Anchell's Cookbook is from 1994 so over a wide spread
of time nothing changed in my references...although I
wasn't around for Blumann haha!

Too bad for me no one made any published notice of the
ability to substitute Pot. for Amm. that I could
easily find.

Eric

I never even noticed this until you asked even though I've seen both versions a great many times. Anyway, its worth trying the toner. I suspect it will work even without the Gold Chloride although the color will be different. There is an older Hypo-Alum type toner with Gold Chloride called Gold-Medal toner, which I think Blumann may have in his book. It was included in Kodak formula books before Nelson's (1930). Hypo-Alum is in some ways a PITA and reportedly smells strongly of Hydrogen Sulfide. KBT is similar Hypo-Alum in that it produces cold-brown tones in comparison to indirect (bleach and redevelop) type toners but I suspect Nelson's is unique. As you are probably aware a standard Gold toner, which produces bluish tones on untoned images, will convert a silver sulfide image to red. Gold toner can be used with partial toning in a sulfide toner to get bluish shadows and reddish highlights.

---