[pure-silver] Re: HC 110 or Stop Bath?

  • From: Dennis P <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:30:18 -0700

I've used it a lot as well. It is a classic for sheet film. I think the most common dilution, and the one I always used, is 1-31. Or one ounce HC110 and 31 ounces water. That is dilution B and you don't need to first dilute down to the stock solution, you can use it straight out of the bottle. It is pretty famous with TRIX and gives very silvery looking light in the prints but it is grainy. When working in a commercial studio I always used FG7 for roll film and HC110 for sheets. The syrup will keep in the bottle for a really long time. I had a client once that did all his work on 35mm Kodak TMZ 3200 and had me process it in HC110. It gave beautiful glowing tonality but was really grainy at 11x14, which was his size for prints. The grain gave almost an atmospheric impression.

Dennis
On Jul 26, 2010, at 7:17 PM, William Harting wrote:

I've used HC110 for years, it has many good qualities, long life is
one of them. I mix the syrup right before use, most often use dilution
E or H. I have a bottle of Kodak Stop you can have if you want it...

-bill

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I rushed into Hunts Photo in Providence as I drove through the city on an
errand and picked up what I thought was a bottle of Stop Bath only to
discover it was a very similarly colored bottle of HC110. Take it back, or add to my repertoire? When I first got started I used Ilfotec HC and HP5+, I was not disappointed. I imagine Tri-X and HC-110 will give me a similar
look.

Elias