[pure-silver] Re: HC 110 or Stop Bath?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:58:45 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lloyd Erlick" <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 7:12 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: HC 110 or Stop Bath?

At 04:15 PM 7/29/2010 , you wrote:

Selenium toner can cause staining from preciptated elemental
selenium if the emulsion is sufficiently acid a bath in a
mildly akaline or neutral bath should suffice to prepare it for toning. If a sulfite wash aid is used that should do it
even when an acid stop bath and fixer have been used.

===================

July 30, 2010, from Lloyd Erlick,

I'm very familiar with the yellow staining you're referring to. To my color perception it is extremely hard to see against a white or near white background, but much clearer if it lands on black areas. Some people see it
as orange, I'm told.

Part of my reason for all the poking around I had to do with selenium toner was that occasionally I would fail to see a yellow stain. I need a way to
be sure they do not form at all.

The precipitation I'm talking about is the black or dark brown stuff that gets thrown in the selenium toner storage container, or in the toner tray
if it's there long enough.

Since I use an expensively high concentration of selenium toner, I want to keep my working solution in good condition. Until I gave up acid I never could beat that problem. When I started playing around trying to stop the odors I did not like in my darkroom, I found that reducing the acid in my line had an unexpected (by me, at least) positive effect on my selenium toner. But compared to not using acid at all, just attempting to rinse away whatever acid I did use was of only partial utility. I suppose eventually all acid can be washed out of a sheet of paper, but I doubt it will occur
during my lifetime.

My processing sequence does not require any step between fixer and selenium toner. There is no acid to carry over, hence none to neutralize or rinse away. Carry over from my plain fixer includes only sodium thiosulfate and sodium sulfite (the only ingredients in plain fixer), neither of which is deleterious to selenium toner (which the manufacturer packages with quite a
bit of ammonium thiosulfate to start with).

For a certain period I did use a processing step between (acid) fixer and selenium toner. I soaked it in KHCA (hypo clearing agent), as Richard suggests, and it did work as far as stains on the print were concerned.

I've found that sulfur dioxide can rear its ugly scent unexpectedly if there is any acid at all in my process. Same for hydrogen sulfide. Maybe not in great quantity - it's probably fair to say bad smells are a thing of
mine... (but I doubt I'm the only one...)

For a normal, plain vanilla darkroom for black and white materials, I think it is possible to say that noxious gases and smells such as sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide can be absolutely eliminated, by which I mean reduced
to zero. Chemical exposure of our bodies in our darkrooms
can be reduced to zero if we wear gloves or otherwise work out a method of getting nothing on our skin (which as we all know is far from difficult). Nothing on our skin, nothing to breathe, that leaves drinking and eating
our chemicals, yum!

regards,
--le

Hydrogen sulfide is the "rotten egg" ordor produced by most sulfiding toners, KRST should not generate it but decomposing hypo will. Sulfur dioxide is a sharp odor, commonly generated by acid fixing baths. The sulfite in the fixing bath is supposed to prevent it but usually does not. Non-acid fixing baths should not generate sulfur dioxide. That can be important for some people because sulfur dioxide can trigger athsma and is very unpleasant in any case. When in enough acid KRST can produce a peach-colored stain composed of elemental selenium. It also tones unfixed halide and intermediate silver-thiosulfate complexes usually resulting in a yellow to brown stain. At one time Kodak recommended a 1:9 dilution of KRST as an alternative to sodium sulfide for the residual silver test. The test will fail if there is a lot of thiosulfate in the emulsion so it must be used only on well-washed emulsion where the sulfide test works under all conditions. I don't know what the black flakes that precipitate from KRST are but suspect they are elemental selenium. I also don't know how much effect they have on the toning ability of the toner. The precipitate seems to form more quickly in diluted KRST than in the concentrate. KRST will certainly change with use and can become exhausted. I have never experimented with the effects of exhaustion. The toning time will become greater but it may also have an effect on image color. The only toners I know of that do not become weaker with use are the old Hypo-Alum-Sepia toners. KBT and other polysulfide toners will tone _faster_ with dilution or exhaustion but the color produced will change. Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent is mostly sodium sulfite and a plain sulfite bath of about 2% will work. KHCA is buffered to neutral pH with sodium bisulfite and also contains two sequestering agents, one to prevent deposits of aluminum sulfate from alum hardeners and the other to prevent deposition of magnesium and calcium salts from the water.