[pure-silver] Re: Getting rid of a block

  • From: "Jim O'Connell" <mmdc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:50:22 +0900

On Sep 30, 2006, at 2:01 AM, Mark Blackwell wrote:

I have a very old 4x5 view camera I haven't played with in a while, and would like to but its just so awkward to use anywhere but at the house. I admit I am a bit of a tinkerer and equipment does interest me, but its always for me secondary. I have a couple of cameras that are as old as I am and I my age thats saying something will all the gray hair. People that know me know why I have it grin.

Its subject matter that gets me in the funk. I get tired of the same old same old. Lately I have been more interested in people, but models get expensive and I don't want to be the guy that annoys his friends with a camera. lol Fall usually helps. It passes or at least it always has in the past. Funny what triggers a new direction. In the past its been anything from just a landscape that I just happened upon, to what I call the lucky photo. Bored, totally uninspired and half thinking you get lucky and get one good one. Lo and behold its back to work again.

I had a teenage nephew visit for a couple weeks here in Tokyo, going out most nights to prowl the streets taking photos of all the strange creatures of the night you find over here. Of course when he got home to his town of 2,000 people, we talked and he said "I can't shoot a thing. I'm totally blocked..."

I'd figured this would happen, so I had an assignment prepared. I said:

"I want a photo of a girl with sun in her hair and a smile on her face. You may use any model, setting, pose (or not) that you like. Include context, no full-frame face shots. Use the Nikon F with the 50mm lens. Use black and white film that you develop yourself. You must do a print that you consider to be technically-competent and get a scan of either the print or the negative to me, followed by an actual print.
I do not want to see more than one image. Pick your best.
You have a week to get all of this completed."

Well, of course, he was able to find a model. (he was starting at a new school for senior year and joined the photography club, so there were plenty of potential models,) He was able to get a photo that he was really happy with and break out of his funk. (He was also dating the model, last I heard...)

Shooting friends is fine. It's much better to arrange for an hour of their time, with the promise of a good print, rather than trying to buzz around a social situation with a camera and half a heart.

But for God's sake, don't try to break your block with new gear. It may work once in a while, but it's too expensive, long term. Grab a 40 year old SLR, a roll of B&W film and your 50mm lens.

Actually, why not take the same assignment as I gave my nephew?
If it works, I'll send you an address to mail the print.
You have a week.
;-)

Jim