[pure-silver] Re: Freestyle EDU Film To Be Discontinued

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:09:13 -0500

On Saturday 05 February 2005 12:00, Dave Hornford wrote:

> Apparently Forte was selling the knock-offs to keep volume up (they seem
> to have minimum buys of inputs or minimum production runs). Alas,
> selling at or about cost of production doesn't leave money on the table
> to pay the corporations other bills.

  The problem is the other choice is to throw out the extra product.  Or to
not make any product at all.

> while ago). Only having spot shortages months after both stopped/cut
> production tells us that there was a massive product oversupply.

  Ilford IIRC was shut down for about 1 week. Not very long.

> Kodak seems to have had both the financial reserves to meet this as well
> as a better understanding of sales into & out-of the channel (as a
> manufactuer you need to know both what your distribution channel is
> buying & selling lest you get caught with a quarter or two of inventory
> in the channel. Kodak's financial reports talked about paper & chemicals
> being de-stocked in the channel (firms that would order 20 cases and
> keep 20 in inventory were ordering 10 with an eye to keeping 5-15 in
> inventory) They also seem not to have gotten into the game of knock-offs.
>
> Agfa seems to have followed Kodak, as well as having to make a
> transition as part of a larger firm to a managmenet buy-out of the
> photographic didvision.

        Agfa is pretty big in the private label C-41 film. I think they also
supply
master rolls to others for cutting. Tura? Kodak last year announced they
intended to enter the private label consumer film market. It's only a short
step from that to private label B&W products.

Nick