[pure-silver] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:34:44 +0100

If, as I'm arguing, the Digital P&S model is ill-suited to "capturing
memories" (as per the snapshot and family photo paradigm that created the
mass photographic market) then it might logically follow its even less
suitable a model for intentional cultural artifacts ("art" or "documentation").

Quoting "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Edward
>
> Now, you are not talking about the type of photography you, I and the rest

Maybe you but...

> on this list are aiming to do. This is snap shooter stuff and has little to
> do with the pure-silver list.

"Snap shot" is a style and not an object. The difference between the subject
of "documentation" and "snap shots" is in ones head: context.

I would not even deride the style since it is an aesthetic technique with its
own language. What makes all the boring large format photographs of yet another
tree in some American national park, staged nudes and all the other "fine
art" photos German hobby photographers seem to want to make when they attend
seminars from the likes of Andreas Weidner and a host of...? They look like
pastiche but their "photographers" all are too serious about themselves
and their own image (and selling workshops to hobby photographers to learn
the magic of their painting with light and shadow)..

When I think about it.. I don't think I know of anyone from "art school" that
cared for those technically sound but boring and humorless tree or nude
repetitions. I don't even think they make good interior deco...

Today.. the major subject of nearly all my photos are.. my kids. Documentation,
snap shots? All of the above.. Its capturing memories and the individual
pictures (10s of 1000s over the past 7 years) are part of a constantly evolving
whole..

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich
http://www.nonmonotonic.net