[pure-silver] Re: Film vs Digital- was: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 13:40:50 -0500

On Sunday 31 December 2006 16:10, Dana H. Myers wrote:

> At some point, we (meaning, everyone) will mostly trust our data archival
> to the professionals.  They'll take care of our data, for a small fee,
> indefinitely.

        The way everybody was supposed to get those digital captures printed by
labs?
There is no reason to believe things will happen the way people expect or
want them to. My understanding is the local ISPs are trying to give away data
storage services. People won't use them. That's for free. Or pretty close to
free. Not to mention the people that would most benefit from handing over
data storage to pros are the people who least understand the issue.

> The chance of someone "dropping the ball" is arguably on the same order
> of magnitude as the precious negatives being lost in a house fire or flood.

        Except when the ball gets dropped it's not one home worth of negatives
being
lost but millions.

        Nick