[pure-silver] Re: Ektapan film

  • From: Leigh Solland <solland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:26:35 -0600

David Starr wrote:

> I got some 4x5 holders via Ebay that have film in them.  I pulled a
> dark slide & there it was, so removed that sheet & checked the
> notches.  It's Ektapan.  The massive development chart lists it under
> discontimued, and I'm wondering how old it may be.  I'll open the
> other holders in the dark, and if there's film in them, I'll develop
> it.  It may be interesting.  The holders each have a piece of white
> adhesive tape with "autopsy" written on it.  It's probably blank, but
> you never know.

Hi David,

I recently got an old Speed Graphic with loaded film holders (Ansco Triple S
Pan).  I am not sure when they were loaded, but my best guess is 1947.  The
opened film package was also
in the box, along with some unopened ones.

I developed a couple of the sheets from the film holders before I shot the
rest, in case they had old images on them, exposed but never developed.  Those
came out clear on the edges
and cloudy in the middle, indicating that they had never been exposed in the
camera, but had been "exposed" in their center through the dark slides, which
seem to be made of some kind
of pre-plastic substance.

So I shot what was in the remaining film holders, and also shot some of the
film in the package.  I got printable negatives from the film that had been
protected in the box, but the
ones in the film holders were cloudy in the middle of the frame, so I only got
images on the edges.  I think the damage was probably due to gamma rays, which
penetrated the film
holders, because they were in a camera case, away from light.  The film in the
package was covered by metal foil, which I am surmising protected it better
than the (celluloid?) dark
slides in the film holders.

Please let us know what you find when you develop yours.

Leigh