[pure-silver] Re: Ektapan film

  • From: Leigh Solland <solland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:53:31 -0600

Richard Knoppow wrote:

> [...]

[snip]

>    Ektapan was discontinued only a couple of years ago. It
> was an ISO-100 version of Plus-X Pan sheet film with the
> same very long toe characteristic but with the speed
> adjusted to match ISO-100 color film so that the two could
> be used interchangibly on the same set up. I am not sure if
> Kodak still has a data sheet for it on-line but I am pretty
> sure I have one someplace.

Here is what it says about Ektapan in the Kodak Darkroom Dataguide for Black
and White, 5th Edition, first 1976 printing:

EKTAPAN 4162 (Ektar thick base) - Panchromatic - ASA daylight 100, tungsten 100
- graininess Very Fine - resolving power Medium

Developing time/temp combinations for several developers are listed.
For D-76 (undiluted): 10 minutes at 68 F (20 C) for average contrast, 7 minutes
for lower, 15 minutes for higher.
For Microdol-X and D-76 (1:1):  13 1/2 minutes at 68 F (20 C) for average
contrast, 9 1/4 min for lower, 19 1/2 min for higher.
Also mentioned are Polydol, DK-50 (1:1), HC-110 dil A, HC-110 dil B.
Explicitly "not recommended" is Microdol-X (1:3).

Hope this is helpful.  For old films, I have used D-76 straight, and given
about 50% more time than specified in the developer, for no particular
scientific reason.  Sometimes it
works.

Leigh