[pure-silver] Re: Dry Mounting Again (Last Question, I Swear!!)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 19:23:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "harry kalish" <hksvk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 6:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Dry Mounting Again (Last Question, I Swear!!)

ColorMount is not considered to be an archival material. BufferMount is the archival stuff---neutral pH and it is possible to reverse the mounting process with BufferMount, although not with the greatest of ease. BufferMount sets after the print/tissue/board assembly is removed from the press during cooling, necessitating firm and even pressure for several minutes as it cools. ColorMount, I¹m pretty sure, bonds in the heat of the
press.
Harry.

I'm not sure Color Mount is not archival, the information should be available from whoever Seal is now. All the thermosetting mounting materials stay plastic until cooled. That's why the flat weight is important. Ideally it should be of a highly heat conducting material like aluminum but even plywood will do if you leave the print sandwich long enough. It should also be fairly heavy. Seal used to sell a weight made of thick sheet aluminum with a couple of handles on one side but its easy enough to make one.

Much of my procedure came from an old Seal manual, long out of print, added to my personal experience in dry mounting.