[pure-silver] Re: Developing Kodak Royal Pan

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 00:51:43 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <JS2RT@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 11:16 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Developing Kodak Royal Pan

My 1958 Master Darkroom Dataguide shows an exposure index of 200, with a developing time of 15 minutes in D76, 9 and a half minutes in DK50 (1+1), and
6  and a half minutes in straight DK50.

In a message dated 6/11/2012 11:58:29 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
martin.magid@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I bought a box of 4X5 Kodak Royal Pan 4141 at a camera show. It appears to be factory sealed and the seller, a guy I know and trust, said it's been refrigerated, but it is very old. There's no expiration date on it, but the lot # is 4141 565 16, if that means anything to anyone on this list.

I haven't opened the box yet so don't know if it contains developing instructions, and Royal Pan isn't even listed on the Massive Developing Chart.

My plan is to develop and fix a sheet in the dark without exposing it to see if there is a base fog, and to do the same with another sheet after fully
exposing it to light to see how black it gets.

I have Rodinal, D-76 and DK-50 on hand. Any suggestions on developing, or ISO if I decide to shoot with it (as opposed to just experimenting)?

Marty

The 1958 book probably has the old ASA speeds which were _half_ the ISO speeds because of the safety factor.
    My 1988 Darkroom Dataguide gives the speed as ISO-400
Development:
D-76, continuous agitation (tray) 8 min @ 68F
Agitation at one minute intervals (large tank) 10 min @68F

Dk-50 1:1, 6 min @68F continuous agitation, 8 min @68F 1 minute agitation.

Times are also given for HC-110 dil A, dil B, Microdol-X, DK-50 full strength. I probably have a data sheet archived but would have to look for it. My memory is that Royal Pan is a long-toe film similar to the old Plus-X and Tri-X Pan Professional films. I think its main purpose was to provide an ISO-400 B&W film to match the speed of color films for use on the same shoots because the equivalent Tri-X Pan Professional is ISO-320. Royal Pan would allow simply interchanging film holders with the color film without adjusting the exposure.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL