[pure-silver] Re: Developing Kodak Royal Pan

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:43:46 -0400

Laurence Cuffe wrote:
> I shot some which had been badly stored, so that moisture had gotten in.
> It was very grainy, and seemed to have lost about two stops. I probably
> developed it in Rodinal, but I don't have the details.  There was a kind
> of bathtub ring around the image where the moisture had got at it.  My
> visions of gorgeous images from old style high silver thick emulsion
> film just didn't work out.

What is it with "silver rich" emulsions? It may have been an issue in
late 19th century glass plates, but it became much less important with
20th century films. The only 20th century film I am aware of that had
its shoulder near the upper limit of what you could print on paper was
Panatomic X that shouldered off near the top of Zone IX. Perhaps some
Pre-1950 films also did this.

But any film that can produce a density of about 2.0 has enough silver.
And since the introduction of T-grain films, they require even less
silver than ever before to provide sufficient covering power.

> Visually, where there was an image, it just
> looked like a fast 35mm negative. (I was shooting 5x4)
> All the best
> Laurence Cuffe

  /V\  PGP-Key:3EDBB65E 9A2FC99A Registered Machine   241939.
 ^^-^^ 15:35:01 up 12 days, 23:55, 3 users, load average: 3.16, 3.25, 3.28