[pure-silver] Re: DS14 paper developer and a slimy mold

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, C.Breukel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 05:13:30 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Breukel, C. \(HKG\)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: DS14 paper developer and a slimy mold
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:44:45 +0200

> ..that's brilliant, did not think of that: but I mostly use Ilford and
> some AGFA, occasional Forte and Foma and just recently processed a whole
> bunch of post card size "obscure" Polish FB paper named Zunow, at least
> 25 years old (worked quite nice btw, ppeople who have received it
> through the IR Post Card exchange can perhaps testify..;-).., so that
> might explain it.

In that case, it is probably useful to filter the developer through
finest paper filter you have. If you remove gelatin debris, there may
be some cell counts of bac's and spores in the solution, but they
can't grow enough to cause problems.

> ......I'll try to get some, thanks! Probably formaldehyde or thymol
> would do the trick too, but the former might perhaps "attack" the
> gelatine, and is obviously toxic, and about thymol I know too little,
> apart from it's odd smell..

I don't know if I made a link in the wiki, but Na 2-phenolphenolate is
available in small bags from Kremer Pigmente in somewhere in Germany
and New York city. It's commonly used in paints, coatings, concrete,
other construction material, as well as hundreds of other applications.

Formaldehyde is not recommended. It's volatile, and it's a potent
irritant, but it's also known to fog some emulsions. Kodak published
two special hardener baths, one for pre-developer use, the other for
general post-fixation use. The pre-dev version contains a significant
amount of 5-nitrobenzimidazole (6-nitrobenzimidazole is the same
compound: in benzimidazole, 5 and 6 are the same position), which is
an antifoggant. Besides, formaldehyde may polymerize and/or adduct
with sulfite. It's not very straightforward, if you want to continue
to use the same solution for months.