[pure-silver] Re: DS14 paper developer and a slimy mold

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 04:29:21 -0400 (EDT)

I'm glad to know that DS-14 is working in your darkroom just as well
as in my kitchen. It's probably that you are using many papers
manufactured by someone other than AGFA, Ilford, Fuji or Kodak. I've
observed mold growth in my developer, but only when I processed my
early generation homemade emulsions or some of central European paper
stock. I think it is related to gelatin debris getting into the
developer.

I suggest sodium salt of 2-phenylphenol is probably safest (it's used
for post-harvest treatment of citrus fruits) and most effective
bactericide and fungicide you can use in alkaline pH, and I've been
using this agent in both emulsion and some other solutions.

If you add the 2-pp to the developer, it is probably best to replace
the developer and add the 2-pp to the fresh developer, because
addition of this agent does not remove the smell and other products
produced by the bacteria and mold.

As always,

http://wiki.silvergrain.org/wiki/index.php/Biocides
http://wiki.silvergrain.org/wiki/index.php/Biocides#2-phenylphenol

But do you really want to spoil my dream of growing tulip flower on
DS-14 and gelatin to prove the nontoxicity of the developer by adding
biocide??

Slimy stuff may be oxidized developing agents, unless they are also
microbiological products. It is best cleaned with mechanical means,
such as bottle washing brush. I simply scrub off the walls of the
developer compartment using a brush with a long wire, sold for
cleaning burets. This is the simplest and the most effective means of
removing texture imprinting problem. This is a common problem, and
since I put up a web page on this topic, I've received a few emails
reporting their positive results with brush method, but there are also
some people who report that they never experienced texture imprinting
problem... I think John Stockdale is one of them.