[pure-silver] Re: DS14 paper developer and a slimy mold

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 05:02:33 -0400 (EDT)

It's not necessary to disinfect the tank to your standard, nor worry
about spores from water supply, as long as the water is safe to
drink. Spores can come from the air and also the paper. Paper
manufacturers add biocide to the emulsion, but they do not necessarily
add disinfecting quantity of such compounds.

Unless there's some nutrients, bacterial may be present but they can't
grow too much and they don't present problems in photographic
processing. Water supply containing calcium or magnesium is easier to
grow bacterial when a small amount of gelatin debris is
introduced. Either way, the main factor is removal of nutrients
(gelatin). It is also much more effective to attack bacterias and
molds before they grow to increase cell counts.

One common place where bacterial growth is most problematic is the
washing tank of minilab machines. Washing water is recycled. Minilab
manufacturers often specify to use demineralized water, and add
isothiazolinone and/or phenol-derived biocides to the washing water.

From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: DS14 paper developer and a slimy mold
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:42:39 +0200