[pure-silver] Re: DS14 paper developer and a slimy mold

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:42:39 +0200

Use filtred and boiled water or Aqua Dest. Before, however, changing over the
water source you must throughly clean the Nova.

The slimmy stuff is bacteria growth. Since the Nova can withstand the use of
Clorine bleach I'd use 1:9 or 1:10 of "household" clorine bleach (as sold in
supermarkets) and let it soak for 1/2 hour or so. Following the use of the
bleach you need to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse as its a bleach and you don't
want any to mess with your prints.

You may have spores in your water supply and tank and to tackle this you want to
use some anti-algae and sporacide compounds. They are available from multi
sources including home and garden as well as photographic and offset printing
industry suppliers. I use some products from Shamrock in Holland.

Quoting "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> The last 2 years I have been very happy with the DS14 paper developer,
> designed by Ryuji Suzuki. In combination with the replenisher it works
> like a charm in my Nova tank, with a working live upto 6 months.
>
> Yesterday I lifted off the lid of the Nova tank to dicover that a nasty
> slimy mold/fungus had formed in the developer. It still worked though,
> but it is not optimal, to say the least...
>
> So what compound could I add to the developer to prevent this growth?
> Obviously the compound shouldn't interfere with the developer
> characteristics such as pH etc.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best,
>
> Cor

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich