[pure-silver] Re: Contrast paper developer

  • From: İbrahim Pamuk <ibrahim.pamuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:12:23 +0300

Hi Richard,

I have learnt quite from your responces. Thanks for them.

I believe that changing from conderser enlarger to diffusion one will cause
approximately one degree of contast. This may be compansated with variable
contast paper, but same is not true for constant degree paper. This will cause
me a loss since I work generally with infrared negative so I need contast. For
these cases I believe I have to go back to old condenser one.

Color head as you said has lesser range at least missing 00, 0 and 5 at least
reference to Ilford. I may need 5 more than 0's. Do you think that using
seperate printing filters for 5 will be effective? If yes,in this case I will
tend to not tu use color head. Do you think use of both, color head + external
printer filter will lead me to grade 5 or even more? The contast will be
obtained emulsion sensetive to bluish light, right? If yes, increasing cyan on
color head will help me in getting contast?

My problem is actually using my old negatives. Now on I will increase
development time 15-20% to get more contrasty negatives. That might help me in
general. As you would think, it is hard to find paper nowadays. I live in
Turkey. Anyway I find it but takes time. For this I have stocked lats of grade
2 and 3. For my old negative, this implies to go back to my old conderser
enlarger. As you said, there nothing like contast paper developer. Only the
working speed changes. How about using lith developer?

Thanks again for everything.

Ibrahim Pamuk