[pure-silver] Re: Citric Acid as stop bath

  • From: Laurence cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:42:01 +0000

I know when I was supervising second year Organic Chemistry practicalls, phenol was considered to be one of the nastiest chemicals we had to handle. Skin burns can be very difficult to treat. We often confuse familiarity with safety. Common salt, and petrol (gas) are two common chemicals I use when looking for a benchmark to compare safety information on a chemical with. On this comparison phenol comes out on the nasty side.

There is some fairly comprehensive information here:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mhmi/mmg115.html
I was particularly struck by this piece:
Phenol vapor and liquid penetrate the skin with an absorption efficiency approximately equal to the absorption efficiency by inhalation. In one case, death occurred within 30 minutes after skin contact.
All the best and have fun!
Laurence Cuffe

----- Original Message ----- From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>