[pure-silver] Re: Citric Acid as stop bath

  • From: Gerald Koch <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:06:01 -0700 (PDT)

This is a problem with citric acid and is the reason that many people use it as
a one shot.  You can add a snall crystal of thymol to the solution.  See if
there is a compounding pharmacy in your area which might be able to sell you a
small amount.  Your stop bath will smell like Listerine.  If you can't obtain
thymol then add a drop or two of phenol.  You can also try adding a gram of
sodium or potassium bisulfite which is used to sterilize wine bottles.

You could switch to a boric acid stop bath which also has no smell.  Use 30 g/l
as a working solution.  Use crystalline boric acid rather than the powder.

Jerry