[pure-silver] Re: Building a darkroom sink

  • From: "Gary W. Marklund" <Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:39:12 -0700

Jim Brick's recommendations are good. I built an L shape sink with each side 7 feet long and 36 inches wide. I installed a 36 inch square shower base in the corner at sink height. The sink dumps into the shower base which has the drain connection. The sink is just plain plywood joined with polyurethane glue and brass screws. I "painted" it with West Marine epoxy resin. I did NOT use the fiber glass cloth, did that once! The huge advantage of the West Marine products is that you have your choice of hardening speed and (now the biggy) a dispensing plunger that accurately measures the ratio of parts A and B.

The L shape is nice because the Jobo, film washer and Kostiner print washer sit on one side and the other side is for trays. I ran plumbing down both sides with multiple hose bib faucets. The Jobo, print washer and film washer are permanently connected. On the tray side I attached lengths of latex hose. The latex is very soft and easy to control.

Good luck, you will enjoy this. Just be certain to plan it out ahead so you really know your space requirements. Also, I built mine to set on a work top that is at a 42 inch height, really saves on the back.

Gary

At 08:12 PM 12/13/2006, you wrote:
Well it looks like I am finally going to have space to build a custom darkroom sink. Will have to be built because of size and plumbing considerations.