[pure-silver] Re: Battery for Mamiyaflex Porrofinder CdS

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 13:03:35 -0800

I've had good results using hearing aid batteries in a Nikon F finder. I make a spacer from O rings with a small bit of copper strip around the top one to provide a contact. The life is fairly short and the must not be left in the camera after they have run down or will leave residue but the calibration seems to be good. Same thing will work in a Luna-Pro.
The problem with replacing mercury cells is that they had very constant voltage until almost dead. Alkaline batteries have a very definite curve with use. The zinc-air cells are nearly as constant as the mercury cells but have only a fraction of the life. Probably the regulators with alkaline batteries are the closest to mercury cells.
It would be interesting to see some statistics on how much environmental mercury came from discarded mercury batteries. I think there is mercury in compact fluorescent lamps, which are still legal. I think most mercury polution comes from burning coal.

On 12/9/2016 12:07 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

just doing this.  If it didn't take so long to do, I'd make a business

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx