[pure-silver] Re: Ansco 115 Contrast Boost

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:42:27 -0500

At 09:45 PM 1/24/2006 , John Meyers wrote:
>Lloyd,
>I have recently begun using Ansco 120 developer and
>rather like it because it provides nice separation of
>shadows. I like to use it in combination w/ D-72
>(Dektol). But I'm a curious about your substitution
>suggestion for warmer tones.
>
>The formula I use is from Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook:
>
>Water(125 F)         750ml
>Metol                 12.3 g
>Sod. sulfite          36   g
>Sod. carbonate        36   g
>Potassium Bromide      1.8 g
>Water to make          1 liter
>
>So are you suggesting substituting potassium carbonate
>for the sodium carbonate, and potassium hydroxide for
>what, the potassium bromide? Would these substitutions
>be in the same amounts as given in the formula? You
>also mention a need for potassium sulfite. Is this a
>substitution too, or an addition?
>
>John Meyers

January 25, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

I'm suggesting potassium salts for their *respective* sodium salts. So if
the formula specifies sodium hydroxide, I'd use potassium hydroxide. If it
says sodium carbonate, I use potassium carbonate. The 120 formula specifies
sodium sulfite, so I use potassium sulfite. (By the way, I don't use the
Ansco 115 formula, so I'm not really talking about it or any formula
specifically. Just about substituting for a subtle added warmth from a
developer.)

In the 120 developer formula, I use quite a bit more potassium bromide than
called for. It really boils down to one's taste, the type of paper, and the
condition of the paper. In a working solution of two liters of Ansco 120
paper developer, I use six to eight grams of potassium bromide.

Getting the warmth of tone one wants from a paper involves a lot more than
one factor. Developer is critical but far from the only factor. There is an
intimate relationship between the developer and the selenium toner.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326